Don't worry, be happy :)

Focus on life issues.
Ask Arlene MD is to focus on anything that has to do with mental health. In the past I've written about relationships but now I would like to focus more on mental health and try to be educational and entertaining. Life is always about relationships. These are either male, female, parent, child, neighbors, teachers, and the list is infinite. How we interact with others define us. If we are angry, we can develop toxic relationships. If we have a better attitude, then we will be happy. Happiness is really a state of mind. You chose to feel happy. You chose to be sad. You choose to be angry. You chose to be mean. Hopefully if you read this blog you will use it for insight, not to attack others. The purpose is to try to make people have a better and positive look at life. Enjoy!

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Why didn't you tell me I was happy?

In one of the last episodes of the TV series “Monk”, “Monk and the badge”, Adrian Monk asks his psychiatrist, Dr. Bell, “Why didn’t you tell me I was happy? ”. For those of you, who have not followed “Monk”, let me give you some background. Throughout seven seasons, Monk has been trying to get reinstated in the police force. On the eight seasons, he finally gets his badge back. However, things are not the way they used to be. He is required to do work that he was unaccustomed to do and he had gotten quite comfortable with his status as a consulting detective. Every time I watch this episode I cannot help but wonder about my patients. How many times do people think that what they have is not good enough? Is it true that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence?
I am not saying that aspiring for more is a bad thing. However, being grateful for what we have is usually not practiced by most people. One of my girlfriends asked me what did I considered to be the best years of my life. It only took me a couple of seconds to respond. The best time of my life is now. She was surprised because her best years where when she was in her twenties. If you think about it for a little bit, you may “think” that the best times where in the past, however, people tend to idealize the past and don’t remember the bad things only the good.
Couples, for example, get bored with each other after many years of being together. They tend to get very comfortable and after a while, may start searching for something exiting and different. This may open room for temptations to seek an affair. If they do get involved in a affair, this may destroy their marriage and family. Once they look back at what they had, they may wonder that they were not so unhappy after all. Why didn’t you tell me I was happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment