Don't worry, be happy :)

Focus on life issues.
Ask Arlene MD is to focus on anything that has to do with mental health. In the past I've written about relationships but now I would like to focus more on mental health and try to be educational and entertaining. Life is always about relationships. These are either male, female, parent, child, neighbors, teachers, and the list is infinite. How we interact with others define us. If we are angry, we can develop toxic relationships. If we have a better attitude, then we will be happy. Happiness is really a state of mind. You chose to feel happy. You chose to be sad. You choose to be angry. You chose to be mean. Hopefully if you read this blog you will use it for insight, not to attack others. The purpose is to try to make people have a better and positive look at life. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The lover who lives out of town.

I know this woman who is pushing forty, and wants to get married and have children. She has never been married and has a successful career. She met this man who lives in another city and has been dating him in a long distance relationship for 4 years. He is supposedly separated and planing on divorcing his wife. He is very rich and tells this woman that he needs to split the assets and that is the reason the divorce is taking so long. Last December, she gave him an ultimatum, either we marry and have children or we are done. It's been almost nine months, and he hasn't budged. She still travels one weekend a month to whatever city he pays her airline ticket to. He wines and dines her. He buys her gifts and takes her out to fancy restaurants. She has fallen in love with this man and she believes he loves her back. One day I asked her why was she not dating anyone local the other three weeks that she was not with her "boyfriend". Her answer was simple. "I am not a slut". She was faithful to her boyfriend. However, does she honestly think that he is "faithful" to her? Last Christmas, he refused to spend any time with her. He needed time for his kids. His kids are all over thirty years old! She didn't see him from Thanksgiving holiday throughout the New Year. I ask myself, why doesn't she keep her options open? If you are stuck in this type of relationship, isn't the smart thing to do is to go out with friends and meet people that are more available? Even if you don't find Mr. Right, at least you won't be so lonely three weeks out of the month.

1 comment:

  1. amor de lejo amor de pendejo.....its a saying in spanish...if i only knew how to translate it I would.....I was in a relationship like that but when I first moved to Florida....after maybe like 3 weeks I said I'm not going to be the dumb one to actually think a long distance relationship could actually work out....sorry I started dating and when he called I told him it was over I could not continue to date him since he was in New Jersey and I was in Tampa. Who knows maybe he was seeing someone the minute I got in the uhaul and started heading south.

    ReplyDelete